Saturday, April 23, 2011

Fears over mobile Botox services

 By Adina Campbell
Newsbeat reporter [an error occurred while processing this directive] Jemma Dixon explains why she has Botox treatments at home

There's concern for young people in their 20s who are choosing to have non surgical cosmetic treatments at home, rather than in a registered clinic or hospital.


The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (Baaps) is warning that people should only have them done in a professional environment, rather than opting for a home visit to save money.


Jemma Dixon from Liverpool started having Botox and filler injections a year ago.


At first she went to a clinic but then realised she could save herself a lot of money by going through a mobile service.


"I've always been bothered about my frown lines," she says. "I started noticing wrinkles on my face in my late teens.


"I'm only 23 but having work done to my face makes me feel more confident."


Jemma, who works in a call centre, says she can save nearly £200 a session compared with the cost of visiting a big cosmetic surgery clinic, some of which charge more than £500.


She said: "I have it done every three months and sometimes it can be difficult saving up all that cash, but I never fail to get my Botox done now. Having my face done at home is better for my bank balance.


"I'm not bothered about the health risks because the lady who does it for me is well trained.


"It hasn't gone wrong yet and I'm pleased with the results. I spend about £600 on face treatments four times a year," she says.

'Not worth risk'

Latest figures show that on average more than one million people have non surgical cosmetic treatments every year in the UK.

Doctor Ash Mosahebi gives his top Botox safety tips


Doctors, however, say home visits are potentially dangerous for a number of reasons.


They say the person giving the treatment may not have the right skills and training, that homes aren't kitted out for medical emergencies and there could be insurance problems if anything goes wrong.


Ash Mosahebi, a consultant cosmetic and plastic surgeon and a member of Baaps, says the results can be nasty.


"When things go wrong they can go badly wrong," he says.


"You're putting your health and well-being at risk by trying to save a few pennies."

Continue reading the main story
I've seen some terrible botched jobs. Fillers have gone all over the place and migrated to places they shouldn't have gone

Ash Mosahebi, cosmetic surgeon

"I've seen some terrible botched jobs. Fillers have gone all over the place and migrated to places they shouldn't have gone and it's been virtually impossible to correct it.


"The worst case scenario could leave you being disfigured."


The British Association of Cosmetic Nurses mainly carries out non surgical treatments and its president, Liz Bardolph, emphasises the need to tread carefully.


"The public must understand that the delivery of cosmetic injectables is medical and while home treatment may be convenient for the patient, the environment may fall short of what is desirable or safe."

Find out more about this subject in Botox Britain: Your Face in Their Hands, which goes out at 9pm on 7 April on BBC Three.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment